Academician Miodrag Ostojić
Academician Miodrag Ostojić
Specific professional orientation:
Professor Dr. Miodrag Ostojić (internist/cardiologist) was elected as a corresponding member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SANU) in 1994, and in 2003, he became a full member of SANU. Prof. Dr. Miodrag Ostojić is a cardiologist and a professor at the Medical Faculty. His specific area of interest is interventional cardiology and cardiac catheterization.
Throughout his career, he has introduced many methods into clinical practice, including:
- Intracoronary fibrinolysis with streptokinase
- Directional coronary atherectomy
- Transluminal coronary angioplasty in chronic patients
- Implantation of intracoronary stents
- Implantation of drug-eluting stents
- NOGA mapping and the use of second-generation bone marrow stem cells in the treatment of chronic ischemic cardiomyopathy.
Academician Prof. Dr. Miodrag Ostojić is the author or co-author of more than 400 papers and 800 abstracts in Serbian and English. He is also the author and editor of about 100 books and monographs. He has been an invited speaker at over 100 congresses worldwide.
- 2008 – 2009 Member of the Presidency of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2008 – Foreign member of the Academy of Sciences and Arts of the Republic of Srpska
- 1997-2011 – Director of the Clinic for Cardiology, Clinical Center of Serbia
- 1986-2011 – Head of the Department of Invasive Diagnostics and Interventional Cardiology
Following the diploma nostrification for the USA, he worked at the Methodist Hospital and Baylor College in Houston as a subspecialist (1978-79) and visiting professor (1985-86). He served as the Head of Postgraduate Education in Cardiology (2000-2009). During his tenure at the Clinic (Clinical Center of Serbia), he introduced around ten new methods for diagnosis and treatment, several of which were original. Upon reaching the age of 65, he changed his status to become an advisor at the University Clinical Center of the Republic of Srpska, Banja Luka (2011-). He was elected as an Emeritus Professor at the Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade, in 2012. He is a visiting professor at the Medical Faculty of the University of Banja Luka, where he was appointed as the Coordinator for Specializations in Cardiology in 2017, reappointed in 2021. He is also an advisor at the Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases “Dedinje” in Belgrade (2017-). He leads several projects at the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SANU) and the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia. Prof. Dr. Miodrag Ostojić has been a mentor in 8 academic specialist works, 24 master’s theses, 7 subspecializations, and 24 completed doctoral theses (Medical Faculties in Belgrade, Banja Luka, and Vienna). He is a member and reviewer of editorial boards of several domestic and international journals. He was the president of the Cardiology Section of the Serbian Medical Society and the Association of Cardiologists of Serbia and Montenegro. Alongside distinguished members of SANU and collaborators, he is a founder and president of the Serbia Your Heart Foundation (2008-).
- 1971 – Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade – Undergraduate studies.
- 1977 – Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade – Specialization in internal medicine.
- 1975 – Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade – Master’s degree in cardiology.
- 1982 – Medical Faculty, University of Belgrade – Doctorate on the topic: Segmental analysis of left ventricular function in patients with coronary artery disease.
- 1972 – Clinical Center of Serbia – Internal Medicine Clinic B.
- 1986 – Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases of the University Clinical Center – Head of the Diagnostic and Outpatient Center.
- 1991 – Medical Faculty in Belgrade – Professor.
- 2004-2009 – Clinical Center of Serbia – Assistant Director of the Clinical Center of Serbia, Department of Internal Medicine.
- 2000 – 2009 – Medical Faculty in Belgrade – Head of the Department of Postgraduate Education in Cardiology.
- 2023 – Pulse cardiology center – Cardiologist consultant
- Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Cardiology Association of Serbia – President.
- Serbian Heart Foundation – President.
- European Society of Cardiology
- Association for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
- American College of Cardiology
- Texas Heart Cardiovascular Institute Society
Awards and Recognitions:
- Recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Medical Chamber of Serbia (2019),
- Gold charter from the Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases “Dedinje” (2020), as well as several other recognitions.
- Chosen as the first honorary member of the Cardiology Association of the Republic of Srpska in 2000, and in 2018, as an honorary member of the Association of Endocrinologists and Diabetologists of the Republic of Srpska.
- Author of approximately 800 bibliographic units; editor of several books in the field of cardiology, one of which received the City of Belgrade Award (2012).
- Delivered over 100 invited lectures in both domestic and international settings. His works published in peer-reviewed journals (245) have been cited 16,109 times according to the SCOPUS database as of the end of 2021, with an H-index of 36.